This year was the big one for me. I have been dreading this day for the past decade. When I turned 25, I started lamenting the loss of my youth and sorrowing over how close I was to 30. Now that ominous day has come and I am feeling sorry for myself. I just keep remembering my childhood when my 30-something parents seemed SO old. It's scary that they are now 50-something and suddenly seem so young to me. You know you are getting old when your parents become more adventurous and exciting than you are. My dad and Carol travel the world looking for dangerously exotic places to hike and sightsee. They have lunch with monks in China, hike the Annapurna circuit in Nepal, clean machine guns for the Israeli army, and hang out at the beach in Africa. And my Mom lives it up in Hawaii, works as a massage therapist at a swanky spa and every time she comes to visit I marvel at how she has sooo much more energy than I do.
But I did have a fun birthday nonetheless. Kyle took me and our friends, Jon and Danielle to dinner at Malees (yum!) on my birthday. I ordered almost everything on the menu. Then my dad and Carol came out that weekend for Brigg’s blessing so I got to spend Saturday with them (which I loved b/c I don’t get to see them nearly enough).
A few days later I went to the spa with my cousins, Kelly and Lynzie. I LOVE Camelback Spa. It was so fun getting massages, almost dying of heat exhaustion in the sauna (sorry Kel, next time we will try to survive a little longer for you), hanging out enjoying some girl talk in the outdoor cabanas, eating lunch by the pool, chilling in the hot tub, etc. I loved every second of it. And the trip to Last Chance on the way home yielded some positive results as well. The day was quite therapeutic and nearly cured my 30 year old blues. Especially when I called home expecting a frenzied husband telling me to hurry b/c he was dying at home with both of the boys, but instead he sweetly told me to take my time, he was having a great time and all was well. I don’t know if that was true, but I can’t express how grateful I was to hear it.
But I did have a fun birthday nonetheless. Kyle took me and our friends, Jon and Danielle to dinner at Malees (yum!) on my birthday. I ordered almost everything on the menu. Then my dad and Carol came out that weekend for Brigg’s blessing so I got to spend Saturday with them (which I loved b/c I don’t get to see them nearly enough).
A few days later I went to the spa with my cousins, Kelly and Lynzie. I LOVE Camelback Spa. It was so fun getting massages, almost dying of heat exhaustion in the sauna (sorry Kel, next time we will try to survive a little longer for you), hanging out enjoying some girl talk in the outdoor cabanas, eating lunch by the pool, chilling in the hot tub, etc. I loved every second of it. And the trip to Last Chance on the way home yielded some positive results as well. The day was quite therapeutic and nearly cured my 30 year old blues. Especially when I called home expecting a frenzied husband telling me to hurry b/c he was dying at home with both of the boys, but instead he sweetly told me to take my time, he was having a great time and all was well. I don’t know if that was true, but I can’t express how grateful I was to hear it.
Then to continue my month long birthday celebrating, my sister in law, Cami took me to lunch today. I love the little splash pads they have at the outdoor malls now. It is the only way I can bring Gage with me to lunch and survive. He was so great playing in the water with Alexis while Cams and I ate lunch and chatted. I wish she didn’t live so far away because I would definitely make this a weekly event through the summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment